Its charming scenery, ancient architecture, delicious cuisine, and friendly inhabitants make Bulgaria one of the best tourist destinations around the world.
But aside from its booming tourism industry, the nation’s economy is getting stronger. Bulgaria offers a diverse and cost effective business environment due to its highly-skilled labour force, trade and tax laws and strategic geographical location.
Foreign investors on the lookout for global investment opportunities would greatly benefit from the Bulgarian Immigrant Investor Program (BGIIP) that has been in operation since 2009. The program allows investors and their families to obtain Bulgarian permanent residence status with all the advantages of a European Union permanent residence.
The most interesting feature of the program is its physical residency exemption. The applicant and his family are not required to reside in Bulgaria during the 5-year residency period. They can live, work, or study anywhere and still maintain their permanent residency status as long as the investment in Bulgaria is kept.
After 5 years of permanent residency, the applicant may proceed to apply for Bulgarian citizenship and passport.
REASONS TO CHOOSE BULGARIA
- Fast processing of residency (6 to 9 months)
- Fast-track option allowing for citizenship within two years
- Special exemption from physical residence enforced with legislation
- Government-approved investment and available financing options from banks
- No language requirements for residence or citizenship
- No obligation to relinquish current nationality
- Lowest tax rates and free trade environment within the EU
BENEFITS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENTS:
- Access to free education
- Access to high quality healthcare in Bulgaria and the EU
- Conditional tax exemption on worldwide income
BENEFITS FOR CITIZENS:
- Unrestricted right to live, work and study in Europe
- Right to own land in an EU country
- Visa free travel to over 150 countries including Canada
- FULL INVESTMENT
A deposit of BGN 1 million (€511,292) in a Governmental Bond Portfolio for an investment period of five years. At the end of the five-year period, the full amount of BGN 1 million (€511,292) will be returned without interest. The investment is fully guaranteed by the government bonds.
- FINANCED INVESTMENT
A reduced amount of €185,000 that will be used to finance a BGN 1 million (€511,292) closed 5-year loan from a Bulgarian bank. No further payment is required by the investor and nothing is returned to the investor at the end of the five year period.
Applicants choosing the Financed Investment option will need to demonstrate net worldwide assets of no more than €1 million, a requirement of the Bulgarian bank.
FAST-TRACK CITIZENSHIP OPTION
Applicant may expedite their citizenship application by doubling their investment. The requirements for this option are as follows:
- Have at least one year of permanent residency status
- Double your investment in bonds
- Hold both investments for a period of at least two years after citizenship is granted
A fast track financing option is available for a non-refundable all-in handling fee of EUR 270,000.