|S.i. Systems on behalf of our Private Sector client is currently seeking the services of a Senior FPGA Designer for a contract position located in Calgary or Ottawa depending on the candidate’s preference.
- Provides technical guidance to engineers or technicians assigned to work on a common project.
- Develops estimates for the work to be performed in the development of FPGAs, obtains necessary commitments from interfacing groups and defines the plan/schedule to perform the work. Carries out the plan in accordance with project cost and schedule constraints.
- Leads or has a significant contribution to technical reviews, both internal and external. Performs the role of inspection or review moderator.
- Defines derived requirements based on higher-level allocated requirements.
- Works with engineering specialists and others in an integrated effort to optimize designs.
- Tracks and coordinates design configurations and controls design changes.
- Provides technical support during qualification testing. Supports products in qualification testing and manufacturing by investigating recurring faults and initiating corrective action.
- May be assigned responsibility for overall manufacturability and life cycle cost of designs.
- Investigates, recommends and coordinates the purchase of appropriate electrical hardware development tools and equipment while considering what is available in-house, on the market, overall cost and expected cycle time reductions and or productivity improvements.
- Works with suppliers on technical issues.
- Knows how to write good requirements and specifications, allocate requirements and perform requirements management functions.
- The following skills should be at expert level:
- Requirements analysis, FPGA component Capability Knowledge, FPGA architecture, FPGA RTL coding (VHDL/Verilog), FPGA simulation, FPGA tools (ISE, Quartus, Libero IDE, ISPLever, Synplify), FPGA Lab verification and debug, FPGA design document, and programming methodologies.
- Has good Electrical circuit design skills in areas such as digital and programmable logic (CPLD and FPGA), video and graphics. Develops in-depth knowledge of component behaviour under limited guidance of senior engineers.
- Knows the following interfaces details:
- 1553 I/F, CANbus, Ethernet, USB, SATA, I2C, VME, PCI, Compact PCI, PCI Exxpress, RS232/422/485, Firewire, JTAG, GigE, LVDS, SPI, DDR, DDR2, DDR3
- Has good knowledge of Video I/Fs: RS-170, CVBS, Composite Video, Component Video, DVI, HDMI, SDI, VGA standards, and Video processing
- Knows how to use test equipments such as oscilloscopes, logic analysers, signal generators, TDR, network analyzer and various other instruments at an expert level.
- Has excellent skills to locate and diagnose faults in circuit cards and at unit level.
- Uses computer-aided engineering tools (e.g., schematic capture, PWB design, logic simulation).
- Has a thorough understanding of the product development life cycle for his/her area of expertise (hardware development). Has some understanding of the entire development life cycle and the roles of the multi-discipline groups within it.
- Has a solid understanding of the IPD approach and the role of IPT.
- Develops a focus on understanding customer needs, expectations, natural and induced operating environments and operational concepts.
- Increases depth and breadth of knowledge about the technologies and products associated with his/her current group. Provides input to product and technology road maps.
Specialization and Skills:
8 – 10 years
5-10 years of FPGA design experience (please describe) (Must-have)
Experience implementing Ethernet and CAN bus in FPGAs. (Must-have)
Experience with ModelSim (Must-have)
Experience with Xilinx Zync FPGAs and Xilinx’s Vivado tool (Nice-to-have)
Ottawa or Calgary – 3 months with a possibility for renewal